This morning the New York Times website has the same lead (upper left) story as it did yesterday. Pundits are saying that Trump and Barr are throwing CIA sources under the bus. What we must understand is that they may be literally throwing some of them under a bus, especially the informant said to be in the Kremlin inner circle who told the CIA about Russian hacking.
The most prominent source among them may well be a person close to President Vladimir Putin of Russia who provided information to the CIA about his involvement in Moscow’s 2016 election interference. Source
This and all of the new top of the page (non-opinion) stories except one are, to say the least, disturbing. To varying degrees, all of these stories will be making Putin happy because they demonstrate that what we used to call “the free world” is in chaos.
- Potential Clash Over Secrets Looms Between Justice Dept. and C.I.A. Attorney General William P. Barr has repeatedly described investigative efforts to understand the nature of links between Russia and the Trump campaign as “spying.” (If you can’t read this on the NYT site you can read it here.)
- “Federal Judge Blocks Part of Trump’s Plan to Build Border Wall: A federal judge blocked part of President Trump’s plan to use money from a national emergency declaration to build a border wall.
- Britain on the Brink of Boris Johnson and Chaos: (Theresa May exits but the Brexit impasse will endure for the simple reason it makes no sense. Boris Johnson is looking to step up.)
- How Trump Wins Next Year: What’s happened in India and Australia is a warning to the left.
- Theresa May’s Resignation Throws a Fractured Britain Into Further Turmoil
- Populists Seek to Break the European Union From Within
- In Contest to Succeed Theresa May, Stars Are Aligning for Boris Johnson (He is a divisive politician who once wrote that Barack Obama might have disliked the British Empire because he was “part-Kenyan.” He also wrote that Muslim women wearing burqas “look like letterboxes,” and that the Libyan city of Surt could resemble Dubai if they would “clear the dead bodies away.”)
- Trump Circumvents Congress to Sell Weapons to Middle East Allies
President Trump’s efforts to build a wall along the southwest border hit a roadblock on Friday night when a federal judge in California granted a preliminary injunction that prevents the administration from redirecting funds under the national emergency declaration issued in February.
The idea that the president can act “without Congress” when lawmakers refuse a funding request from the White House “does not square with fundamental separation of powers principles dating back to the earliest days of our Republic,” Judge Gilliam wrote.
Even so, Putin will look at it and be pleased because it is yet another example of how divided America is. We have to view the photo which yet again reminds us of this disgusting emblem of the rhetoric of what probably got him elected.