Talk about hitting the ground running.
President Biden (gawd, that is a good thing to say for the soul) has signed and is signing no less than 17, SEVENTEEN, executive orders within the next hour, or so. Nine of them directly roll back some of the most damaging and embarrassing Trump directives.
5 Executive Orders on Immigration, 3 reversals of Trump directives.
1. Halts construction of the border wall by terminating the national emergency declaration used to fund it
No more blasted wall, no more funding for it, no more stealing from monies designated for military housing for this abomination.
2. Undoes Trump’s expansion of immigration enforcement within the United States
This Executive Order rolls back a Trump-era policy on deportation priorities
3. Reverses the Trump administration’s restrictions on US entry for passport holders from seven Muslim-majority countries
The racist and shameful targeting of Muslims with a travel ban specifically aimed at Muslims is now gone with this reversal of the Muslim travel ban.
4. Fortifies DACA after Trump’s efforts to undo protections for undocumented people brought into the country as children
DACA is safe under Biden. Next step is to enshrine DACA into law and give DACA recipients a pathway to citizenship.
More on the Immigration Executive Orders from the Guardian, here:
On the Environment:
1. Rejoins the Paris climate accord, a process that will take 30 days
We are once again going to be part of the solution on combatting climate change.
2. Cancels the Keystone XL pipeline and directs agencies to review and reverse more than 100 Trump actions on the environment
Keystone pipeline, buh-bye. Also, reversing more than 100 damaging Trump actions (including rules on offshore drilling, management of water pollution at coal power plants, monitoring air pollution at oil refineries, and permits for pipeline construction) on the environment is sorely needed, and good that it is being done immediately. We have no time to waste.
More on Biden’s reversal of Trump’s 100+ environmentally damaging actions here:
On the Coronavirus:
1. Stops the United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organization, with Dr. Anthony Fauci becoming the head of the delegation to the WHO.
YES! We are rejoining the World Health Organization and Dr. Fauci will become, in addition to a close partner of Biden’s on battling the Coronavirus pandemic, the head of our delegation to the WHO.
2. Launches a “100 Days Masking Challenge” asking Americans to wear masks for 100 days. Requires masks and physical distancing in federal buildings, on federal lands and by government contractors, and urges states and local governments to do the same.
A mask mandate for federal buildings and federal land as well as for government contractors, and an ask of the American people to wear masks, which will go a long way with the American people, leading by example and offering mask encouragement.
On the Economy:
1. Extends the existing nationwide moratorium on evictions and foreclosures until at least March 31.
The moratorium was set to expire Jan. 31st. Biden is pushing to extend the moratorium until Sept. 30th.
2. Extends the existing pause on student loan payments and interest for Americans with federal student loans until at least September 30
On the Census:
Requires non-citizens to be included in the Census and apportionment of congressional representatives
Trump tried to exclude non-citizens from the census, a shameful, racist move motivated by white supremacy. He also tried to get his hands on a list of all non-citizens included in the census. All of it: GONE. This is a direct reversal of Trump’s Executive Order on the Census.
1. Prevents workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity
Trump’s edict on transgender people in the military, GONE, among others.
2. Rescinds the Trump administration’s 1776 Commission, directs agencies to review their actions to ensure racial equity
Elections have consequences. These 17 Executive Orders signed by President Biden are a great start to undo the immense damage done by Trump and to move us on a good path forward.
Well done, Mr. President!