Well, there really is “a lot to unpack” in drumpfs first cabinet meeting of 2019. And if we could make sense of it, all the better…
— Malcolm Nance (@MalcolmNance) January 2, 2019
The president of the United States just said he “could run for any office” in Europe.
— Lawrence O'Donnell (@Lawrence) January 2, 2019
The shake-down continues…
— Bloomberg (@business) January 2, 2019
“If Romney fought as hard against Obama as he does me, he’d be president.”
“I think I would have been a good general, but who knows?”
“Iran is a MUCH DIFFERENT COUNTRY than it was when I became president.”
Trump on Syria: “it’s not my fault. i didn’t put us there”
— John Harwood (@JohnJHarwood) January 2, 2019
Trump via WH Pool, on Syria: Withdrawal will be “over a period of time”
“Syria was lost long ago..We are talking about sand and death We are not taking about vast wealth” https://t.co/p8cj27xmLE
— Julian Borger (@julianborger) January 2, 2019
- Trump said European leaders have told him they don’t know how they’ve gotten away with taking advantage of the U.S. so long.
- This is one of the many Trump claims that can’t be definitively called false but sure is super-false sounding.
- Trump scoffs at the military contributions of U.S. allies to U.S.-led coalitions, saying that a mere “200 soldiers to Iraq” or “100 soldiers from a big country to Syria or Afghanistan” doesn’t make up for how these countries take advantage of the U.S. on trade and such.
- Trump mocked Modi, I think, for reminding Trump that India built “a library” in Afghanistan: “We’re supposed to say thank you for the library. I don’t know who’s using it, in Afghanistan…”
- Trump criticized the late John McCain by name, twice, for voting against Obamacare repeal. He was very ranty at this Cabinet meeting.
- Trump said he gave U.S. generals “all the money they wanted” for Afghanistan, but they did a bad job. Of Mattis, he says, “What’s he done for me? How has he done in Afghanistan? Not too good. Not too good.”
- Trump: “Russia used to be the Soviet Union. Afghanistan made it Russia. Because they went bankrupt fighting in Afghanistan. Russia.”
- Trump’s assessment of Syria: “We’re talking about sand and death. That’s what we’re talking about.”
- Trump says he’ll protect the Kurds anyway, but: “I don’t want to be in Syria forever. It’s SAND. And it’s DEATH.”
- Trump’s hingedness level was not high today.
- Trump says he had a meeting about Iran and the Middle East with lots of good-looking generals: “Like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise, and stronger.”
- Trump again falsely claims that Iran is having bigger protests (“riots”) than “they’ve ever had before.” The protests in the past year aren’t nearly as big as the 2009 “Green Revolution” protests, let alone the Islamic Revolution.
- Trump added that there were many “computer boards” in this Iran meeting with the hottie generals. (I had to wait until other people tweeted “computer boards” to make sure I wasn’t imagining this phrase.)
- Trump angrily complains about inspectors general doing public reports about the conduct of U.S. wars: “What kind of stuff is this? We’re fighting wars and they’re doing reports?” He says: “‘The public’ means the enemy. The enemy reads those reports.”
- Asked about the Syria withdrawal, Trump said he never said it would be “fast.” He said it would happen in 30 days.
- Trump says that if the courts say Obama had the right to do DACA unilaterally, he can do whatever he wants on lots of other stuff. He adds: “Can you imagine me having this power? Wouldn’t that be scary?”
- Trump says he was all alone in his “big house” over the holidays — “except for all of the guys out on the lawn with machine guns.” He says that he’s never seen so many machine guns, and they didn’t even wave at him. He adds, “All alone with the machine-gunners.”
Trump says the reason oil is at $44 is not because of "luck" but because he called up "certain people" and told them "let that damn oil flow"
— Steve Kopack (@SteveKopack) January 2, 2019
Somehow Trump has gone from the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, to the Kurds, to Tom Cruise, to computer boards, to Obama and planeloads of cash.
— Sam Stein (@samstein) January 2, 2019
All Cabinet meetings should televised live. Or better yet — make the whole thing a reality show… put them in a house together like Big Brother and film it 24/7 until they solve all the things.
— Blake Hounshell (@blakehounshell) January 2, 2019
President Trump says he would "love" to negotiate a deal with Iran: "They're not ready yet, I don't think. But they will be" pic.twitter.com/3LdxGdb2Ft
— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 2, 2019
I’m sorry, what now? https://t.co/cOtc6SfIkM
— Bradley P. Moss (@BradMossEsq) January 2, 2019
And everyone knows that Trump hates people who work in real estate and media.
— Michael G. Stone (@M_G_Stone) January 2, 2019
.@PamelaBrownCNN comes in post-cabinet meeting with the most understated comment so far in 2019: “Well, a lot to unpack there.”
— Mark Hertling (@MarkHertling) January 2, 2019
This is a Creative Commons article. The original version of this article appeared here.