Not a flaming liberal, Jennifer Rubin says exactly what needs to be done immediately.
It won’t be done because there are far too many open obligations that a significant number of GOP leadership officials have to Russia, but it does indicate how treacherous the situation has become…
- Trump is a clear and present danger to the US
- Bolton and Pompeo must go
- “It is not an exaggeration to say a (Republican) party that continues support for Trump is anti-American.”
- “Fourth, Trump’s legal problems are worsening by the day.”
the issue is no longer “merely” whether Trump colluded with the Russians and committed obstruction of justice, but whether he is a clear-and-present danger to the United States. https://t.co/a7LSyoO7BW
— Jennifer Rubin (@JRubinBlogger) July 20, 2018
As for the Trump administration, neither temporal nor geographic distance improves one’s perception of the president’s multitudinous and outrageous misdeeds. To the contrary, on the ground in Western Europe, ordinary individuals, media and political leaders reacted with amazement and horror at the series of events that have occurred over a fortnight:
- The indictment of 12 Russians involved in hacking Democrats.
- President Trump’s boorish behavior at another meeting with allies (with particular venom directed toward German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister Theresa May).
- Trump’s stunning agreement with Russian President Vladimir Putin’s denial of Russian interference in our election followed by a transparent lie to run from his betrayal.
- Trump’s denial that Russian interference remains an ongoing threat (followed by another transparent lie to conceal this absurdity).
- The utter lack of knowledge as to what, if anything, Trump promised Putin (given Republicans’ objections to calling translators to testify).
- A new invitation from Trump for Putin to visit Washington. (Goodness knows what other acts of betrayal will occur.)
- The White House’s seeming willingness to hand over former U.S. ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul for Russian authorities to question, followed by a walk-back when, for once, Senate Republicans unanimously declared with their Democratic colleagues that this would never take place.
Pro tip: if you're trying to convince people you're NOT a Russian asset, you probably shouldn't tweet videos from Channel One Russia. pic.twitter.com/1M9YeOsdz3
— Jennifer Hodges (@KresyTalk) July 19, 2018
— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) July 18, 2018
If this is true, it’s unfathomably treacherous. But Trump can’t refute it without making the American interpreter available. So that plot is thickening by the hour. https://t.co/C71psJqGBY
— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) July 21, 2018