“What country are you a citizen of?" the Border Patrol agent asked a driver at a highway checkpoint in Maine https://t.co/JDvaeMfOxs
— The New York Times (@nytimes) June 24, 2018
Nothing ever changes in a country where stupid people profile each other, but it will soon be time to not be wimps about a complete overhaul of border protection and immigration/customs enforcement.
Considering the Trump regime wants to “streamline” government, perhaps customs enforcement needs to go to a nonfunctioning commerce department as sleepy as its cabinet secretary.
Considering the questionable hiring of a CBP now responsible for progressively fewer arrests, perhaps its functions do need to be rethought, considering a DEA seems ineffective in stopping gangs that still provide drugs to rich white folks, among others.
On Sunday, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), an outspoken progressive in the Senate who is increasingly whispered about as a potential 2020 presidential candidate, joined a growing cadre of Democrats willing to discuss major alterations to the agency.
“I think there’s no question that we’ve got to critically reexamine ICE and its role and the way that it is being administered and the work it is doing,” Harris told MSNBC’s Kasie Hunt. “And we need to probably think about starting from scratch.”
- Do not give them a fucking wall for a thing that is a fear campaign made up by white supremacist who would love the chance to get the pogroms going at long last. Do not reward them for creating internment camps for babies and children.
- Unless and until the right can be trusted to treat immigrants as human beings and not pests to be eliminated then I will not proceed by treating the right like they are not monsters, because this is a monstrous thing they are doing, and we cannot let them do it.
- Do you guys remember that like 5 years ago these people were adamant about a war on Christmas? It’s these same people doing this shit now, except it’s not remotely funny now.
- Just so we’re clear because some of you are insisting I’m denying what migrants are being subjected to trying to cross the border and/or denying they are fleeing very real crises: It is the lie that Trump is telling that the United States is being invaded that I’m repudiating.
- We are not being overrun by migrants, there is no threat to the sovereignty of America, it does not require militarism in order to stop, these people are not combatants infiltrating America to take it down from the inside.
- That the border is the last defense America has against the foreign hordes they want us to believe are coming to destroy us is an old lie that has been steadily getting mainstreamed since David Duke’s border watch with the KKK in the late 1970s.
- What we are bearing witness to right now is the decades long effort and propagandizing paying off for white supremacists and the closer we get to the demographic shift that will make white people a minority in a country of minorities the more the right will escalate.
- Because the goal is to prevent white people from becoming a minority, not only will they zealously close the borders, they will just as zealously round up, imprison, strip citizenship away from those who are naturalized, and potentially kill in order to maintain dominance.
- that’s the threat and it’s imperative that everyone understand what animates the right’s opposition to immigration and why this level of brutality and inhumanity is expanding, let alone merely happening at all.