He’s considered one of the most compassionate, well-loved and respected human beings in the world. Don’t let his motto of “kindness is my religion” ever fool you into believing the 14th Dalai Lama is anything but strong. The 82-year-old Nobel Peace Prize laureate beams with wisdom and truth from which today’s lawmakers could greatly learn. Here is a Dalai Lama tweet from last week.
“Compassion is of little value if it just remains an idea. It must motivate how we respond to others and be reflected in all our thoughts and actions.” -Dalai Lama
In 2016, His Holiness tweeted a similar quote:
“The time has come for us to consider seriously how to change our way of life not through prayer or religious teaching, but through education.” -Dalai Lama
Here is the YouTube video (via the DalaiLama.com) showing part of his speech at the Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, Minnesota on February 29, 2016. In the short clip, Dalai Lama’s english is broken, but his message has the capacity to repair humanity.
Dalai Lama talks about how change starts within each of us—as individuals, and it takes work. It takes action. He says we must help humanity become a compassionate humanity by setting an example which ultimately leads to the education of others. Here are some excerpts from the video:
“I dedicated all my life until my death…I said try to make little contribution as much as I can.”
“We have to work. Change starts from individuals.”
“Firstly we are individuals. We should practice these things, then make an example to others. Then, more and more people will share your experience. From one person, at least there are family members and friends. Then ten people. These ten people share with their friends. That means a hundred people. A hundred people.. the same way. Then thousands of people, ten thousand, a hundred thousand, a million, a hundred million…”
Given the state of this country, and a Republican-led government that allows a racist, bigoted, xenophobic, and misogynistic man like Donald Trump to become and remain the so-called president, it is clear we need to educate others, by speaking, seeking, and living truth—and taking action.
And speaking of action, may every Republican lawmaker who is bought/bribed by the NRA, and who does nothing but send out meaningless “thoughts and prayers” after mass shootings—heed the words of Dalai Lama. May their lack of action and disinformation about gun violence in America shame them into taking action or losing their seat in Congress for their blatant neglect to protect and serve our preciosu children and our country—all in effort to line their pockets with NRA blood money.
Thank you to His Holiness for the love, compassion and wisdom that he continues to spread throughout the world. For more quotes by Dalai Lama of Tibet see below:
- “Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
- “Love is the absence of judgment.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
- “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
- “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
- “Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
- “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.” ― Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness
This article was originally published May 11, 2016 and updated May 21, 2018.