No one has ever accused Donald Trump of being a statesman, but he has managed to be next-level socially awkward during the visit of French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Brigitte, to the U.S. In fact, sometimes it’s just plain hard to watch. But we’re gonna make you do it anyway, offering up a Top 5 Most Awkward moments before the trip is even complete.
1. Trump shows off the Oval Office phones—along with a desk that’s never seen a lick of work. What exactly does one say? (Feel free to do a caption contest below.)
Trump shows Macron his phones pic.twitter.com/sqvq9Hm3wv
— Jennifer Epstein (@jeneps) April 23, 2018
2. Trump assures the world Macron will make a fine president one day: “He is going to be a great president of France.” France will be glad to know.
“He is going to be a great president of France”
(Donald Trump) pic.twitter.com/tg0gl4iA14
— Jérôme Cartillier (@jcartillier) April 24, 2018
3. Trump trashes the Iran nuclear deal France was instrumental in negotiating in front of Macron when asked whether the U.S. would stay in the agreement.
“We’ll see,” Trump said, before calling it “a terrible deal,” “insane” and “ridiculous.”
That was in the Oval Office. But just in case that wasn’t offensive enough, Trump trashed it again during their joint news conference.
“This is a deal with decayed foundations. It’s a bad deal. It’s a bad structure. It’s falling down. Should have never, ever been made. I blame Congress, I blame a lot of people for it. But it should have never been made.
4. Trump lightly brushes a little dandruff off Macron’s lapel for the pictures.
Trump on Macron: “We have a very special relationship, in fact I’ll get that little piece of dandruff off…we have to make him perfect, he is perfect.” https://t.co/GGsfve3KYB pic.twitter.com/vzV2Dech86
— Dan Linden (@DanLinden) April 24, 2018
5. Trump chummily grabs Macron’s hand like a lover who’s ready to leave a party early as reporters look on. #NotAwkward
Time to go pic.twitter.com/IYglLZfTcp
— Axios (@axios) April 24, 2018